SHOREDITCH HEALTH CENTRE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1258017
Date first listed:
06-Feb-1997
Statutory Address:
SHOREDITCH HEALTH CENTRE, 210, KINGSLAND ROAD E2

Map

Ordnance survey map of SHOREDITCH HEALTH CENTRE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258017 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 20:49:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
SHOREDITCH HEALTH CENTRE, 210, KINGSLAND ROAD E2

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Hackney (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 33508 83536

Details

TQ 3383 KINGSLAND ROAD. E2 (east side)

735-/30/10043 No., 210 (Shoreditch Health Centre) II Health Centre, formerley the Shoreditch Maternity and Child Welfare Centre. 1922-23. Francis Danby Smith architect. Red brick with stone dressing. tiled roof. Rectangu1ar. 'I'-shaped plan. Two storeys. 8 windows to front. 12 windows to side (Laburnum Street elevation). Early Georgian style. Symmetrical front elevation with central entrance in four-window range. two projecting wings, each of two windows wide. Brick quoins. wooden modillion cornice, high-quality red brick window arches. stone keystones, 6/6 sash windows throughout. High-quality stone door surround with engaged Doric columns. broken pediment above enclosing carved coat-of-arms and figure sculpture of mother and child. Four rusticated gate piers in front of entrance. with moulded stone caps and bases. Side elevation: 12 windows wide. End two bays project from main range: penultimate bay at west end, slightly projecting with large round-headed window stone modillioned pediment above. brick quoins flanking. Rear: 2-bay projection, two windows, wide with blind window at ground floor level. INTERIOR: Entrance hall within staircase to one side rising to first floor, and main ha1l ahead. Small. plain consulting rooms off spine corridors. Origina1 brass fittings (handles and bolts) to doors. Stone staircase with metal balustrades and moulded wooden handrail. Central hall: top-lit. walls articulated with Classica1detail: Greek key. Frieze and Doric pilasters. Slightly altered: west wall moved eastwards one bay and the original. elevation reproduced in facsirnilie. New inoill on south side of the original block. The later block 0 to the rear of the site is not of special interest. HISTORICAL NOTE: The Shoreditch Maternity and Child Welfare Centre was one of the first ante-natal and infant care out-patient centres in Brit3in. built in response to the campaigns of the Maternity and Child Welfare Movement spear-headed by George Frederick McCleary from 1915. The handsome neo-Georgian elevations were the work of Francis Danby Smith (1876-1936). Who specialised in hospital construction and held the post of architect to the Guardians, of St.Leonard's Workhouse and Infimary in Shoreditch. The cost of the work was paid for by the Carnegie UK Trust which also paid for the erection of three other model centres at Liverpool, Birmingham and Motherwel1. The Shoreditch Centre is the most architecturaIly distinguished of this group.

Listing NGR: TQ3350883536

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
463200
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/16980/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Rau. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].