8-11, WEST STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1258091
Date first listed:
29-Dec-1972
Statutory Address:
8-11, WEST STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 8-11, WEST STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258091 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 09:23:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
8-11, WEST STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Waverley (District Authority)
Parish:
Farnham
National Grid Reference:
SU 83859 46797

Details

1099 WEST STREET (South East Side) Nos 8 to 11 (consec) SU 8346 NE 5/74

II GV

No 8: C19. 3 storeys, 4 windows; westernmost 3 bays project very slightly forward. Slate gabled roof. Bracketed eaves cornice. Painted band between 1st and 2nd floors. Brick front. Glazing bars intact. Plate glass shop front on ground floor. No9: C19. 3-storey, 1-bay front. Peaked roof. Moulded wood eaves cornice. Red brick front. A 3-light sash window with glazing bars intact on both upper floors. Modern Georgian style bow fronted shop window on ground floor. Nos 10 and 11: C18 to C19; 2 separate buildings; No10 later. 3-storey, 6-bay front with a 4th, tile-hung storey set back on No 10. Boxed eaves to No. 10, moulded eaves to No 11. Red brick fronts. Windows with glazing bars intact and with rubbed brick voussoirs. Modern plate glass shop front and casing extends across whole of ground floor of both Nos 10 and 11. An oval plaque on No 10 bears the following inscription: "Here was born Augustus Montague Toplady 4th November 1740. This stone was taken from Burrington Combe". There is a monument to Augustus Toplady in the Parish Church of St Andrew. He was born on the site of No 10, rather than in the building which at present stands there.

Nos 8 to 15 (consec) form a group (including lamp and lamp bracket to west of No 15).



Listing NGR: SU8386646793

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
444271
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/12986/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Laurence Armes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].