VERNON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1258122
Date first listed:
26-Apr-1950
Statutory Address:
VERNON HOUSE, 28, WEST STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of VERNON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258122 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 21:20:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
VERNON HOUSE, 28, WEST STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Waverley (District Authority)
Parish:
Farnham
National Grid Reference:
SU 83673 46711

Details

SU 8346 NE 5/81 26.4.50 1099

WEST STREET (South East side) No. 28 (Vernon House)

II*

C16 altered C18 and later. U-shaped street front of 2 storeys. Rendered. Projecting plinth. Plain wall face carried up to parapet with stone coping. Hipped old tile roof. Flanking wings, shortened in C18, each with 2 windows on 1st floor, 2 windows on ground floor. In centre wing, 3 windows and 1 small window above; 2 windows and 1 small window below. 6-panel central door with panel reveal and doorcase of fluted Doric engaged columns, entablature broken forward over columns and pediment. One segmental stone doorstep. 2 cast lead rainwater heads in angles with date of 1727 probably indicate completion of rebuilding of courtyard, new windows and doors. Original C16 stepped brick chimneys on west side of west wing. The south front unsymmetrical with 2-storey segmental bow to left hand. Charles I slept here at Vernon House on his way to trial, 20th December 1648 (plaque on west wing). Within, walls are partly panelled in oak. C16 to C17 tempera wall painting in upper North-West room. (See N Temple, "Farnham Buildings and People" Page 153).

Nos 18, 37, 43, 45 and all the listed buildings on the south-east side from Nos 19 to 46 (consec) (including wrought iron screen before Vernon House), form a group.

Listing NGR: SU8366246715

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
444388
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Temple, N, Farnham Buildings and People153

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].