FORT PERCH ROCK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1258164

Date first listed: 04-Jan-1977

Statutory Address: FORT PERCH ROCK, MARINE PROMENADE, WALLASEY

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORT PERCH ROCK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258164 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 17:04:42.

Location

Statutory Address: FORT PERCH ROCK, MARINE PROMENADE, WALLASEY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wirral (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SJ 30952 94477

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 39 SW 1916/3/54

WALLASEY, New Brighton, MARINE PROMENADE (north side), Fort Perch Rock

4/1/77

G.V. II*

Fort, now museum. 1826-9 with later additions. By Captain J. Sykes Kitson R.E. Stone. Battered walls with roll mouldings and a parapet; round corner towers. Central gateway, approached by causeway on elliptical arches, has segmental-headed opening flanked by paired Doric demi- columns, entablature and parapet with scrolls to ends and cast iron relief of royal arms. 10 gun ports and 6 lateral stacks. Left tower has mid C20 2-storey concrete structure, that to right has tower structure supporting iron tank. Interior has main range to south with lean-to asphalt roof dated 1838; entrance has paired rusticated piers and entablature. Gun emplacements to north and west parapets and other gun emplcements, probably later behind those to north. Various blocks to north and west side, probably C20. Plaque records erection and cost. Built to defend the approach to Liverpool.



Listing NGR: SJ3095294477

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 444470

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing