PUMPING STATION TO EAST OF WALLASEY DOCK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1258168
Date first listed:
20-Feb-1985
Statutory Address:
PUMPING STATION TO EAST OF WALLASEY DOCK, PUMP ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of PUMPING STATION TO EAST OF WALLASEY DOCK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258168.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2019 at 11:28:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
PUMPING STATION TO EAST OF WALLASEY DOCK, PUMP ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wirral (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 32696 89960

Details

SJ 38 NW WALLASEY PUMP ROAD (south side)

6/84 Pumping Station to east of 20.2.85 Wallasey Dock

- II

Pumping Station. 1886 extended 1908. Common brick with red brick dressings and slate roofs. One storey, 9 x 3 bays, 1st 3 bays form the extension, rear range of 6 bays. Round-arched applied arcade, 2 string courses open and top cornice. Coped gables and clasing buttresses to angles. Large keys of arcade projected upward as flat pilasters, with smaller intermediate pilasters. 6 pilasters of arcade have small niches. 1st, 4th and 9th bays are blind, the rest have paired segmental-headed windows with round windows above all with iron small-pane glazing. Roof has rectangular ridge louvres with pitched roofs. Right return 1st 3 bays gabled similar to front facade gable has round-headed window. Next 3 bays are gabled, 3 round-headed windows interrupted by later lean-to extension. Louvred round window above. Octagonal stack projects to centre, has 4 string courses and machicolated cap. Left return similar, large segmental-headed entrance. Return of rear range recessed to left, similar to right return. Rear facing dock has been altered.

Listing NGR: SJ3269689960

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
444481
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Dec 2001
Reference: IOE01/05041/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Geoffrey Court. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].