THE VICARAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1258183

Date first listed: 08-Jan-1988

Statutory Address: THE VICARAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE VICARAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258183 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 01:33:20.

Location

Statutory Address: THE VICARAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: North Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Chittlehampton

National Grid Reference: SS 64276 25904

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHITTLEHAMPTON SS 62 NW 1/124 The Vicarage - - II Former vicarage, now private dwelling. Dated 1844. By R D Gould. Rendered stone rubble with ashlar dressings. Slate roof with coped parapets and shaped kneelers to the gables. Tall lateral stacks, 1 to each side and 2 to rear, of red brick above stone rubble with yellow brick shafts. Asymmetrical plan with principal room to each side of staircase to garden (south) front, entrance porch to axial passage to right (east) side and service rooms to rear with 2-storey service wing to rear left side. Tudor style. 2 storeys with cellars and attic storey. Symmetrical garden front has gables flanking smaller gable to slightly recessed central bay with tall transomed timber mullion stair oriel window with hipped roof. Blank shield above. Ground floor canted bays to left and right with transomed timber mullion windows, and stone parapets with blind panels and central shield. 3-light timber mullions above. All windows have ashlar surrounds. Asymmetrical entrance front to right (east) has lateral stack to left of single storey entrance porch with 4-centred stone arched doorway with ovolo-moulded surround and shields in the spandrels. 1844 datestone above. Gabled projecting bay to right has 2-light timber mullion window on each floor, single light window to attic storey. Large twin gables to rear with bell turret to ridge of right-hand gable. Rear service wing has demolished shaft to lateral stack on outer face. C19 fenestration intact throughout. The Vicarage was built by Watts of Chittlehampton at a cost of £1,320.

Listing NGR: SS6427625904

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 444526

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing