WILSON'S MARINERS HOMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1258205
Date first listed:
22-Dec-1953
Statutory Address:
WILSON'S MARINERS HOMES, 1-15, CASTLE ROAD
Statutory Address:
WILSON'S MARINERS HOMES, 1A, 2A, 3A AND 4A, CASTLE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WILSON'S MARINERS HOMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258205.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 23:31:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
WILSON'S MARINERS HOMES, 1-15, CASTLE ROAD
Statutory Address:
WILSON'S MARINERS HOMES, 1A, 2A, 3A AND 4A, CASTLE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Scarborough (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TA 04364 89040

Details

CASTLE ROAD 1. 1605 (North Side) Wilson's Mariners Homes (Nos 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A and Nos 1 to 15 (consec)) TA 0489 2/15 22.12.53.

II GV

2. Built in 1836 as Mariners Asylum. A one storey range at angle to road raised up with terrace and stone retaining wall. The building is of brick, now rendered, on stone base with small stone cornice, parapet and coping, gable end steep pitch slate roof. 12 bay front with end bays and centre 3 projecting with stone coped gables over and Tudor chimney finials. All windows are square headed, 3 lattice casement lights each with ogee cusped heads, splayed stone surrounds and dripmoulds. The door surrounds are similar and also have 3 light fanlights and elaborate ledged and moulded doors. Centre door and 2 doors each side of centre projection and one door in the returns of the end projections, At the west on return angle a 2 storey red brick extension with stone dressings, stone cornice carved up over gable to left hand 2 light windows in gabled section otherwise 3 light, similar to those on main block. Picturesque.

The Wilson's Mariners Homes form a group.

Listing NGR: TA0436489040

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
444560
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Mar 2001
Reference: IOE01/03417/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Simon Braithwaite. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].