CLAPWORTHY MILL AND ATTACHED MILLER'S HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1258319
Date first listed:
08-Jan-1988
Statutory Address:
CLAPWORTHY MILL AND ATTACHED MILLER'S HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CLAPWORTHY MILL AND ATTACHED MILLER'S HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258319 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-May-2019 at 06:11:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
CLAPWORTHY MILL AND ATTACHED MILLER'S HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
North Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Chittlehampton
National Grid Reference:
SS 67497 23991

Details

CHITTLEHAMPTON CLAPWORTHY SS 62 SE

4/130 Clapworthy Mill and attached - Miller's House

- II Mill with miller's house attached. Miller's house, now unoccupied and used for storage and mill early C19, the latter extended at front end in 1887. Unrendered stone rubble. Slate roof with gable ends. Plan: large 3-storeyed mill, rectangular on plan with covered wheel-pit towards rear left side butting onto the rear of the miller's house of 2 rooms and central staircase plan. The front gable end of the mill was extended forward in 1887 by a 3 storey addition in same style as original. Mill 3 storeys. Fenestration throughout consists of 2-light casements, 2 panes per light. Principal entrance on left side with slated gabled roof to deep projecting timber porch. Additional entrance at front gable end. Miller's house of 2 storeys. 3 window range. 2 light casements, 2 panes per light. Central half-glazed plank door. The mill-wheel and machinery no longer survive apart from the sack hoists and trap doors. The interior, however, is largely unaltered and retains its original flooring supported by heavy cross ceiling beams, stair ladders and C19 trusses.

Listing NGR: SS6749723991

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
444760
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].