PENINSULA BARRACKS GREEN JACKETS HEADQUARTERS AND MUSEUM

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1258429
Date first listed:
30-Jun-1994
Statutory Address:
PENINSULA BARRACKS GREEN JACKETS HEADQUARTERS AND MUSEUM, ROMSEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of PENINSULA BARRACKS GREEN JACKETS HEADQUARTERS AND MUSEUM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258429.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2019 at 18:33:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
PENINSULA BARRACKS GREEN JACKETS HEADQUARTERS AND MUSEUM, ROMSEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Winchester (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 47668 29509

Details

WINCHESTER ROMSEY ROAD SU4729NE 869-0/2/10010 (South side) Peninsula Barracks: Green Jackets Headquarters and Museum II GV Barracks cookhouse and mobilisation stores. 1899-1904 by E.Ingress Bell. Flemish bond red brick and Portland stone dressings. Slate roof with stone coping to pedimental gable ends and stone parapet. Long rectangular plan. Classical style. 2 storeys. Symmetrical 5:1:5 bay east front [first floor end windows have been converted into doorways with fire escape stairs]. Stone band and rusticated quoins. Centre bay has rusticated quoins on ground floor, pilasters above, pediment and semi-circular doorway with fanlight. 16-pane sashes, ground floor with cambered arches. Similar windows at rear, the first floor blind. Interior not inspected.

Listing NGR: SU4771429457

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
444968
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Jul 2005
Reference: IOE01/14529/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Claire Pearce. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].