FORMER CANAL BRIDGE ABOUT 130 METRES SOUTH OF METHODIST CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1258461
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1991
Statutory Address:
FORMER CANAL BRIDGE ABOUT 130 METRES SOUTH OF METHODIST CHAPEL, LIGHTMOOR ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER CANAL BRIDGE ABOUT 130 METRES SOUTH OF METHODIST CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258461 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 11:58:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORMER CANAL BRIDGE ABOUT 130 METRES SOUTH OF METHODIST CHAPEL, LIGHTMOOR ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Telford and Wrekin (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Dawley Hamlets
National Grid Reference:
SJ 68274 05850

Details

DAWLEY HAMLETS LIGHTMOOR ROAD SJ 60 NE Former canal bridge 31/10002 about 130 metres south of Methodist Chapel II Canal bridge. Circa 1790 to early C19. Stretcher bond red brick round arch on dressed sandstone plinth forming a barrel vaulted tunnel, about 5 metres long, through bank of spoil. Stone rubble and slag abutments at either end. The bridge now has a footpath above, but may have originally carried a colliery plateway over the line of the Shropshire Union Canal (completed in circa 1790). The 1882 OS map indicates that the canal was replaced by a small mineral line. The bridge probably connected Dawley Parva Colliery to Lightmoor Iron, Brick and Tile Works. Sources: Ironbridge Gorge Museum Trust; 1840 Tithe Map and 1882 OS Map.





Listing NGR: SJ6827405850

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
445013
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Feb 2006
Reference: IOE01/15178/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ian Mannering. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].