This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

DOWRICH HOUSE INCLUDING ADJOINING COB GARDEN WALL TO RUBBLE GARDEN WALL TO NORTH EAST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DOWRICH HOUSE INCLUDING ADJOINING COB GARDEN WALL TO RUBBLE GARDEN WALL TO NORTH EAST

List entry Number: 1258520

Location

DOWRICH HOUSE INCLUDING ADJOINING COB GARDEN WALL TO RUBBLE GARDEN WALL TO NORTH EAST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Sandford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-May-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 445113

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS 80 NW SANDFORD

1/178 Dowrich House including adjoining cob garden wall to rubble garden wall to north-east

II

Manor house, now farmhouse. Probably mid C16, some C17 work, extensively refurbished and partly rebuilt in early C19, refronted circa 1870-80 and front altered again in early C20. Plastered volcanic rubble with exposed stone front and Ham stone dressings; volcanic stone stacks most with C19 chimney shafts; slate roof. Originally a 3-room-and-through-passage house facing south-east with parlour cross-wing projecting forward at left (south-west) end. Service end rebuilt in early C19 with new wing projecting forward including porch to front passage door. Large lateral stack projecting to rear of hall, lateral parlour stack, and stack between kitchen and right (north-eastern) front wing. 2 storeys. Irregular front of large Jacobean-style, Ham stone, ovolo-moulded mullion-and-upper-transom windows with volcanic hoodmoulds and containing large-pane sashes; 1 window to left wing, 2 to hall and 2 to right wing which includes Ham stone arch to porch. Gable ends of wings have kneelers, coping and ball finials and 2 similar false gables with small vases over hall. Left (south-west) side of parlour wing has late C19 projecting parapet with moulded coping resting on a series of shaped Ham stone corbels with segmental arches between. The plastered right (north-east) side of wing has early C19 arched sash window with Gothick glazing bars. Projecting main block with rounded corner also includes arched windows but these are 2-light casements, the first floor one with arched heads. Small C19 square bell cote on apex of kitchen roof with ogee lead roof and shaped vallances. Rear (north-west) elevation includes a large early C19 arch-headed window to kitchen with slender Gothick tracery and a geometric pattern of leaded glass. There are smaller examples to the first floor. Those to left have iron casements and Gothick pattern of leaded glass and those to right have scalloped treatment to arches and include wooden casements with arch-headed lights. At right end a mid C16 oak 5-light window has flat arched heads, moulded mullions, stancheons and saddle bars and C19 leaded glass in geometric patterns. Hall stack has massive mid C16 divided chimney shaft of volcanic ashlar with moulded cap suggesting that hall was floored from the beginning. Interior shows mainly C19 fittings including an elaborate wooden chimney piece in hall carved in Jacobean style with free-standing Corinthian columns enriched with vines and grotesques on carved pedestals; and wooden cornice around hall includes heraldic achievements of the Dowrich family and its connections. C16 and C17 features are probably hidden. C16 volcanic ashlar fireplace with hollow-chamfered surround in parlour. Parlour roof of 4 bays on C16 side-pegged jointed cruck trusses with butt purlins and windbraces. Hall roof of 4 C17 A-frame trusses with dovetail lap-jointed collars. Service and front wing have C19 king post trusses. The volcanic ashlar arched doorways with moulded surrounds at either end of through passage may be mid C16 but appear earlier and may have been introduced in early C19. The high garden walls adjoining either side, cob on rubble footings with pantile and brick tops to left (south-west) and rubble to right (north-east) are included for group value. An early photograph shows stucco front with parapets and arched windows with Gothick glazing bars; ogee heads to ground floor. A late C19 photograph shows a naked stone front with present mullion-and-upper-transom windows but shaped bargeboards to gables. Dowrich House was house of Dowrich family from 1200-1717 (Devon SMR).

Listing NGR: SS8265705067

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SS 82657 05067

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258520 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 04:24:03.

End of official listing