Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258615.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Dec-2021 at 06:33:19.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Devon (District Authority)
Satterleigh and Warkleigh
National Grid Reference:
SS 64977 22440


SS 62 SW SATTERLEIGH AND WARKLEIGH 3/175 Nos. 1-3 Deason Cottages - GV II Former farmhouse, now converted into 3 cottages. Late C16/early C17, divided into 3 occupations probably in late C19, with alterations in mid and late C20. Painted render to No. 1, roughcast rendered to Nos. 2 and 3. No. 1 (at left end) has thatch roof, hipped at left end, Nos. 2 and 3 have asbestos slate roof with higher ridge level. Tall rendered front lateral hall stack with bread oven projection. Rendered lateral stack to rear right end. Original plan obscured by later developments; but appears to have consisted of a 3- room and cross-passage plan with an exceptionally narrow inner room to right of hall, which was in the C17 extended by the addition of a larger parlour at the right end. The passage was axially partitioned, probably in the C19, creating a small room at the rear, which was extended circa 1930 partly into the hall. Steep C19 staircase immediately to right of passage running up front wall. The lower end was also extended by the addition of 1-room and integral leanto at the left end. The farmhouse was divided at the lower side of the passage and at the upper end of the hall when converted into 3 occupations. 2 storeys. No. 1, at left end has 2-window range of small late C19 2-light casements 3 panes per light. Ground floor has a 2-light window 2 panes per light to right of hipped thatch porch roof with plank door. C20 single light window to left. C20 flat-roofed extension to rear. Nos. 2 and 3 have 9-paned window to upper storey in stack projection with plank door to left and two 2-light casements 6 panes per light to right on each floor. Hall has chamfered cross ceiling beam with large bar and runout stops. Parlour at right end has chamfered axial ceiling beam with shallow step stops and short scroll- stopped beam across the rear window projection beside the stack which has a chamfered fireplace lintel. Roof raised and renewed circa 1930 over Nos. 2 and 3. Interior of No. 1 not inspected.

Listing NGR: SS6497722440


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].