SALISBURY MUSEUM

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1258828
Date first listed:
28-Feb-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
26-Jan-1977
Statutory Address:
SALISBURY MUSEUM, 40 AND 42, ST ANN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of SALISBURY MUSEUM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258828 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-May-2019 at 06:33:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
SALISBURY MUSEUM, 40 AND 42, ST ANN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Salisbury
National Grid Reference:
SU 14743 29612

Details

ST ANNE'S STREET 1. 1594 (South Side) Nos 40 & 42 (Salisbury Museum) SU 1429 NE 4/368 28.2.52. II* GV 2. C18 house facing street was largely demolished in C19. Facade of Victorian brick in Tudor style 1863 by John Harding. Part of earlier building survives. 2 storeys and attic. Gable end old tile roof to left with coved cornice. C19 gable with stone coping to right and large but lower gable over Museum entrance, diamond pattern brickwork. Flush framed sashes to surviving C18 part. The Victorian fenestration is stone mullioned and transomed casements. Large 3 centre arched double doors to Museum in moulded stone surround with panelled spandrels, drip mould raised up to contain panel over. The main museum hall has elaborate cast iron roof trusses. Surviving from the earlier horse is a large circular room of 1812. Domed ceiling with elaborate plaster enrichment to walls and coffered soffit of dome. Pilasters articulate walls. The plaster work was carried out by Italian craftsmen who had lived and worked in Salisbury for several generations. One of the original mahogany doors remain, of tall proportions, and 4" thick. The windows and fireplace have been removed, the window openings remain.

Nos 32 to 42 (even) form a group.

Listing NGR: SU1474329612

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
445725
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].