RUXFORD BARTON INCLUDING ADJOINING GARDEN WALL TO SOUTH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1258831

Date first listed: 26-Aug-1965

Statutory Address: RUXFORD BARTON INCLUDING ADJOINING GARDEN WALL TO SOUTH

Map

Ordnance survey map of RUXFORD BARTON INCLUDING ADJOINING GARDEN WALL TO SOUTH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258831 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 05:58:53.

Location

Statutory Address: RUXFORD BARTON INCLUDING ADJOINING GARDEN WALL TO SOUTH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Sandford

National Grid Reference: SS 81622 02403

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS 80 SW SANDFORD

3/200 Ruxford Barton including 26.8.65 adjoining garden wall to south

II

Manor house, now farmhouse. Probably late medieval core, refurbished and enlarged in early C17 (dated plasterwork of 1608), modernised in mid-late C19. Rendered volcanic rubble; stone stacks with C19 brick chimney shafts; slate roofs. Main block facing south with cross wings projecting forward each end and single storey front porch. Cross passage, formerly through-passage to main block with 2 service rooms to left (west) with axial stack between. Store and service chambers in west wing. Hall right of passage with lateral stack projecting to rear and stack between main block and right (parlour) wing. 2 storeys with attic rooms only in cross wings. Vaguely symmetrical frontage. Gable end of each wing has late C19 and C20 casements with exception of attic windows; a possibly C18 2-light window with iron casement to left and blocked window to right. Main block has 4-window front of late C19 3-light casements with glazing bars. Main door right of centre has gabled C17 porch. It has seats each side and shelving to right with small section of C17 oak panelling below. In front stands C19 round headed, wrought-iron arch with scrolled pendant and finial. Early C17 studded 9-panel oak door with strap hinges with fleur de lys terminals is hung in richly moulded oak doorframe with ornate urn stops. C19 service door at left end and early C17 ovolo-moulded oak doorframe with scroll shops in inner side of service wing. Inside has mostly C19 features but parlour wing first floor includes high quality moulded strapwork cartouche with central achievement, the date 1608 and initials of Edward and Anne Chichester. Roof of main block inaccessible, but C17 oak A-frame trusses with mortise-and-tenoned collars to wings. Other early C17 features are probably hidden. Irregularity of main block layout suggests survival of earlier fabric. From right end of gable front of parlour wing a high rubble wall, topped with cob and roofed with pantiles, extends southwards along east side of front garden. Ruxford is first mentioned in a charter of 930 and was a Domesday Manor (Devon S.M.R.)

Listing NGR: SS8162202403

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 445699

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing