WEST HENSTILL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1258873
Date first listed:
20-May-1985
Statutory Address:
WEST HENSTILL HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WEST HENSTILL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258873 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2019 at 23:08:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
WEST HENSTILL HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Mid Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Sandford
National Grid Reference:
SS 80221 03885

Details

SS 80 SW SANDFORD

3/206 West Henstill House

II

Farmhouse, now house. C16, altered circa 1920. Plastered cob and rubble; stack of small squared blocks of volcanic stone topped with early C20 brick; thatched roof. Originally a 3-room-and-through-passage house facing south-east with inner room at left (south-west) end. Circa 1920 service room demolished and rear service wing built behind passage and hall. Large projecting lateral stack to front of hall. C19 outshot on left end. Now 2 storeys. Irregular 2-window front to main house comprising late C19-early C20 casements with glazing bars. Front of hall including window on each floor is broken forward flush with front of hall stack on right and includes a small ground floor side-light. Both first floor windows have thatched gables over. Hall stack has original late C16 volcanic stone chimney shaft with projecting coping. It is now topped with early C20 brick. Passage door now at right end. Roof is half-hipped to left and gabled to right. Right end wall of circa 1920 volcanic rubble with brick dressings. Good interior. C16 oak plank- and-muntin screen from passage to hall has moulded head beam. Hall fireplace lintel and hall are crossbeam chamfered with worn, indistinct stops. Full height cob crosswall between hall and inner room. Hall roof supported on side-pegged jointed cruck roof. Roof space inaccessible.

Listing NGR: SS8022103885

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
445706
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12495/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Shaun M. Fry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].