This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NUMBERS 1 TO 8 ATTACHED BASEMENT RAILINGS, WALLS, COACH HOUSE AND STABLES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NUMBERS 1 TO 8 ATTACHED BASEMENT RAILINGS, WALLS, COACH HOUSE AND STABLES

List entry Number: 1258879

Location

NUMBERS 1 TO 8 ATTACHED BASEMENT RAILINGS, WALLS, COACH HOUSE AND STABLES, NAVAL TERRACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Swale

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 15-Mar-1977

Date of most recent amendment: 13-Aug-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 445787

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 9175 SW NAVAL TERRACE Sheerness Dockyard 933/2/88 Nos 1-8 (Consecutive) 15.03.1977 Attached basement railings, walls, coach house & stables

GV II*

Terrace of 8 officers' houses. 1824-27, by George Ledwell Taylor, architect to the Navy Board, and Sir John Rennie, engineer. Yellow stock brick with rubbed brick heads, rendered dressings, brick party wall and end gable stacks, and slate roof. Late Georgian style. Double-depth plan. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, attic and basement; 22-window range. Terrace has a plat band and eaves cornice to a blocking course, the left-hand house has the end bay with the entrance set back; bridges cross basement areas to round-arched doorways in matching recesses with fanlights with a central round pane, and 6-panel doors, the 4 upper ones raised; the two inner blocks have paired doorways, the right-hand end house has a flat headed doorway with a 4-pane overlight. Flat-headed windows with rendered reveals have 6/6-pane sashes, 3/3-pane attic sashes. Right-hand return has 2 lateral stacks on moulded corbels, a window to the right of the door, 2 first-floor windows over it, and a single attic sash. Left-hand return flush with the dock boundary wall (qv), has a 2-window range with a lunette with a batwing fanlight to the entrance hall. Rear fenestration as the front. INTERIOR: No.1 has an entrance hall, with a good central lateral dogleg stair with cast-iron stick balusters and fluted newel, 6-panel doors and panelled shutters, and enriched cornices. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron front basement area spear-headed railings with urn finials, the curved green to the front enclosed by a dwarf retaining wall with granite coping, formerly with iron railings; attached rear garden wall extends approximately 30m to N to former coach houses and stables with hipped roof and parapet, segmental-arched coach doors with similar stable doors in raised sections. HISTORY: housed eight senior yard officers, forming a good group with the railed front garden, and the dockyard church (qqv) to the right. There was proportionately more accommodation at Sheerness than the other dockyards because of the remoteness of the site. Unlike the other Royal dockyards, Sheerness was all rebuilt at the same time. Within the little-altered SE corner of Rennie's model layout, containing the entrance, chapel and officers' accommodation, and part of a unique planned early C 19 dockyard. (Sources: Coad J: The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Aldershot: 1989: 54, 58, 59 ; Rennie Sir J: Sir John Rennie's Treatise on Docks and Harbours: London: 1851: 41 ; Sheerness the Dockyard, Defences and Blue Town: 1995: 1 ; Archaeologia Cantiana: Harris T: Government and Urban Development in Kent -the case of the Royal: 245-276).



Listing NGR: TQ9147475086

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Sheerness The Dockyard Defences and Blue Town, (1995), 1
Coad, J G, The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Architecture and Engineering Works of the Sailing Navy, (1989), 54, 58, 59
Rennie, J, Sir John Rennies Treatise on Docks and Harbours, (1851)
Harris, T, 'Archaeologia Cantiana' in Government and Urban Development: The Case of the Royal, (), 245-276

National Grid Reference: TQ 91474 75086

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258879 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2018 at 03:18:53.

End of official listing