WALL EXTENDING APPROXIMATELY 85 METRES ENCLOSING GARDEN TO NORTH OF NUMBERS 1 TO 15

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1258882
Date first listed:
15-Mar-1977
Date of most recent amendment:
13-Aug-1999
Statutory Address:
WALL EXTENDING APPROXIMATELY 85 METRES ENCLOSING GARDEN TO NORTH OF NUMBERS 1 TO 15, REGENCY CLOSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WALL EXTENDING APPROXIMATELY 85 METRES ENCLOSING GARDEN TO NORTH OF NUMBERS 1 TO 15
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258882.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2019 at 14:37:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
WALL EXTENDING APPROXIMATELY 85 METRES ENCLOSING GARDEN TO NORTH OF NUMBERS 1 TO 15, REGENCY CLOSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Swale (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 91393 75141

Details

TQ 9175 SW REGENCY CLOSE Sheerness Dockyard 933/2/92 Wall extending approx 15.03.1977 85m enclosing garden to N of numbers 1-15

GV II

Garden wall. c1829-33, by George Ledwell Taylor, architect to the Navy Board, and John Rennie Snr, engineer. Yellow stock brick with ashlar coping. Encloses N side of former Officers' rear garden, with a doorway in the N side with a ball finial, and associated with the former dockyard perimeter wall (qv). HISTORY: Rennie's model of the yard shows each house with a separate garden, with a possible coach house at the S end. Unlike the other Royal dockyards, Sheerness was all rebuilt at the same time. Within the little-altered SE corner of Rennie's model layout, containing the entrance, chapel and officers' accommodation, and part of a unique planned early C19 dockyard. (Sources: Coad J: The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Aldershot: 1989: 54-56; Sheerness, The Dockyard, Defences and Blue Town: 1995:1).



Listing NGR: TQ9139375141

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
445790
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Sheerness The Dockyard Defences and Blue Town, (1995), 1
Coad, J G, The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Architecture and Engineering Works of the Sailing Navy, (1989), 54-56

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].