WHITE BEAR INN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1258954
Date first listed:
06-Jun-1952
Statutory Address:
WHITE BEAR INN, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of WHITE BEAR INN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258954.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2019 at 11:27:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
WHITE BEAR INN, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Pendle (District Authority)
Parish:
Barrowford
National Grid Reference:
SD 85939 39713

Details

SD 83 NE BARROWFORD CHURCH STREET

11/32 White Bear Inn

6.6.52

- II

Formerly Hargreaves Great House. House. Dated probably 1667, on porch, but may be later. Stone built with plinth. 3 gables to main roof. Front has 8-light stone mullion window with moulded and returned dripstone. C18 doorway inserted to right. Above is similar window with thicker centre mullion and 2-light blind window in dummy gable which has moulded coping and 3 finials. Three storey porch has a moulded doorway with Tudor arch. First floor is overhanging and contains 5-light window with 3rd mullion removed and sash fitted, 2nd floor has blind 2-light window. Coping and finials as other gable but right hand finial is missing. To right of porch on ground floor is a 4-light and 3-light window with square stone mullions, second lights in both cases are sash. Above are 2 twin 3-light windows divided by a thicker mullion. Left hand window has a wider centre light and right hand window a wider first light. Both gables have blind 2-light windows with coping and finials. Circular single storey portion to the right has C18 door and window. Attached to porch are mounting stones and left hand return has a well proportioned chimneybreast. Interior has 2 inglenook fireplace. (8/p133/RCHM).

Listing NGR: SD8593939713

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
186165
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pearson, S, Rural Houses of the Lancashire Pennines 1560-1760, (1985), 133

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08625/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gary Gudgin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].