WHITE HART HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1258980

Date first listed: 28-Feb-1952

Statutory Address: WHITE HART HOTEL, 1, ST JOHN'S STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of WHITE HART HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258980 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 09:41:09.

Location

Statutory Address: WHITE HART HOTEL, 1, ST JOHN'S STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Salisbury

National Grid Reference: SU 14571 29722

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST JOHN'S STREET 1. 1594 (East Side) No 1 (White Hart Hotel) SU 1429 NE 4/130 28.2.52. II* GV 2. Late C18. 3 storey. White brick on stone plinth with yellow rubbed window arches, moulded stone cornice and blocking course. Slate roof. Projecting central portico, early C19, full height of building wth a plain ground floor treatment of 3 stone arches on square piers facing street and one similar arch across pavement at each end, these arches support 4 Ionic stone columns, with 2 responding pilasters on wall face carried up 2 storeys and with moulded stone entablature and pediment crowned with a full size White Hart. The main wall face inside portico is painted stucco, with 3 windows all with moulded architraves and with additional cornices and pediment to central and other 1st floor windows, on ground floor under arcade 2 windows to right hand and 8-panel double doors, egg-and-tongue enrichment to panels, to left hand with architrave surround. 3 windows each side of portico to main block, totalling 9 bays. The portico has enriched and turned wood balustrade, with beautiful side guards of wrought iron scroll work and cypher G.R.; at angles of portico are horn shaped lamp brackets ofsimilar but more delicate wrought iron scroll work. Slightly later extension to right hand of 6 bays, with plain painted front. The portico is an important street feature. Only the windows in side te portico have glazing bars, original, the rest restored. Interior considerably altered. 2 bay modern extension to south in matching style. Nos 1 to 13 (odd) form a very important group.



Listing NGR: SU1457129722

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 445980

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing