BOUNDARY WALL EXTENDS FROM MAIN GATE ROUND SOUTH AND EAST SIDES OF FORMER DOCKYARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1259030
Date first listed:
15-Mar-1977
Date of most recent amendment:
13-Aug-1999
Statutory Address:
BOUNDARY WALL EXTENDS FROM MAIN GATE ROUND SOUTH AND EAST SIDES OF FORMER DOCKYARD, GARRISON ROAD
Statutory Address:
BOUNDARY WALL EXTENDS FROM MAIN GATE ROUND SOUTH AND EAST SIDES OF FORMER DOCKYARD, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BOUNDARY WALL EXTENDS FROM MAIN GATE ROUND SOUTH AND EAST SIDES OF FORMER DOCKYARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259030.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2019 at 15:57:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
BOUNDARY WALL EXTENDS FROM MAIN GATE ROUND SOUTH AND EAST SIDES OF FORMER DOCKYARD, GARRISON ROAD
Statutory Address:
BOUNDARY WALL EXTENDS FROM MAIN GATE ROUND SOUTH AND EAST SIDES OF FORMER DOCKYARD, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Swale (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 91372 75228

Details

TQ 9175 SW GARRISON ROAD Sheerness Dockyard 933/2/116 Boundary wall extends from 15.03.1977 Main Gate round S and E sides of former Dockyard

GV II

Includes: Boundary wall, extends from Main Gate round S and E sides of former Dockyard, HIGH STREET, SHEERNESS DOCKYARD Dockyard boundary wall. 1824-31, by Sir John Rennie. Yellow stock brick with granite plinth and coping. Tall wall with a band of granite ashlar, above which shallow buttresses divide the wall into square panels. Extends approximately 500 metres SE from Nos 1 and 2 Main Gate to the N of the former Dockyard Church (qqv), from where a section ramps down to extend to meet the retaining wall in front of the Church. The main wall runs E of the Dockyard House garden (qv), where it contains a segmental- arched doorway leading from Church Road for officers going to church. The wall along the S side of the yard extends from the Wend of Naval Terrace (qv), and extends W for approx. 300m before turning S for approx. 170m; in the corner ramps lead up to an entrance. This section of wall facing High Street has square lamps on cast-iron brackets attached at intervals. HISTORY: built by Rennie to enclose his complete rebuilding of the Sheerness yard in the 18205. Of historic interest, and part of a good group with the officers' accommodation, church and offices (qqv) in the little-altered SE corner of the yard. (Sources: Coad J: The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Aldershot: 1989: 182; Rennie Sir J: The Formation and Construction of British and Foreign Harbours: London: 1851: 41).



TQ 9175 SW HIGH STREET Sheerness Dockyard 933/2/116 Boundary wall, extends from Main Gate round S and E sides of former Dockyard

GV II

See under: Boundary wall extends from Main gate round S and E sides of former Dockyard, GARRISON ROAD, SHEERNESS DOCKYARD

Listing NGR: TQ9137275228

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
446125
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Coad, J G, The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Architecture and Engineering Works of the Sailing Navy, (1989), 182
Rennie, J, The Formation and Construction of British and Foreign Harbours, (1851), 41

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/16203/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gordon Richards. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].