- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259061 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 05:59:36.
- Statutory Address:
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SU 18356 68753
SU 1868 5/114
1883-6. Architects Bodley and Garner (D N B suggests this was largely Garner's
work). Replaced chapel built by Blore in 1840's. Sarsen hammer-dressed stone
with Bath stone courses. Pitched tile roof. Aisleless, 1 storey above dado.
8 bay nave and 2-bay chancel with polygonal apse, and low vestries requiring
flying butresses to abut chevet vaulting. Otherwise ordinary butresses, and
3 narrow pilasters at corners of apse, each crowned by an angel. Open bell turret
over east end of nave, surmounted by fleche. Delicate C14-style bar tracery.
Interior has pointed wooden barrel vault on stone transverse arches, themselves
corbelled at from deeply moulded wall arcade framing windows, and taken on applied
half columns. Deeply moulded chancel arch to narrow chancel which has delicate
pattern of ribs in vault. Chancel arch flanked by much lower entrances to vestries.
Below dado are an excellent series of paintings by Spencer Stanhope (1872-9),
done for Blore's chapel, and framed by delicate C15-style panelling. Good benches
and stalls placed longitudinally.
C House, B House, The Museum Block, The Arcade, The Bradleian Building, The North
Block, the Porter's Lodge, gates and railings, the Chapel, and A House form a group. and railinzs _the ChaDel, and A House fonn a +rouD.]
Listing NGR: SU1836768756
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing