A HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1259062

Date first listed: 21-Oct-1974

Statutory Address: A HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of A HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259062 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 17:09:54.

Location

Statutory Address: A HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Marlborough

National Grid Reference: SU 18388 68717

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MARLBOROUGH COLLEGE 1. 5407 A House SU 1868 5/313

II GV 2. 1845-50. Architect Edward Blore. Red brick. Hipped slate roof. 3 storeys. Continuous ashlar sill bands. 6 ranges of sashes with glazing bars in brick "Gibbs" surrounds. 2 Italianate towers with modillioned cornices and arched lights taking flues. Long and short brick quoins. Elaborate wooden oriels in mid-C17 manner, added by Edwin H Crocker in the 1880's. Like B House, it is remarkable for being so early an example of the revival of C17 forms: like B House also its towers are the most conspicuous reminder of its real date. Unlike B House it has a much shallower pitched roof, no modillioned cornice, and no dormers, and their absence is also more typical of the 1840's than the other features. Interior: both houses have remarkable central, top-lit halls, lined by galleries with absolutely plain arcading filled in by iron railings. C House, B House, The Museum Block, The Arcade, The Bradleian Buildings, The North Block, the Porter's Lodge, gates and railings, the Chapel, and A House form a group.

Listing NGR: SU1838068726

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 446151

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing