MASTER'S LODGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1259063
Date first listed:
21-Oct-1974
Statutory Address:
MASTER'S LODGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MASTER'S LODGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259063 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 02:11:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
MASTER'S LODGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Marlborough
National Grid Reference:
SU 18554 68692

Details

MARLBOROUGH COLLEGE 1. 5407 Master's Lodge SU 1868 2/122 Su 1868 5/122 II 2. 1845-50. Architect Edward Blore. Red brick. Hipped slate roof. Hipped slate roof. Red brick stacks, with extraordinary tops probably added in the 1860's. 2 storeys. Modillioned eaves cornice. Long and short brick quoins. 3 ranges or sashes with glazing bars in brick "Gibbs" surrounds. Extension of C1860-5 on south side. Porch added by William White in 1861: polychrome herringbone brick work, corner piers with pyramidal caps and buttresses, open parapet above, 3 segmental arches with hoodmoulds (1 each to each flank) taken on 2 squat stone columns with foliate capitals. Like A House and B House, it is a remarkably early example of the revival of C17 forms: superfically it even looks ten years younger than its porch. But like A House, it is not as wholeheartedly "Queen Anne Revival" as B House; although the details are of 1700, the proportions are of an early C19 villa.

Listing NGR: SU1855468692

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
446152
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/00268/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Hilary Mack. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].