This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

DE VAUX HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DE VAUX HOUSE

List entry Number: 1259073

Location

DE VAUX HOUSE, 6, ST NICHOLAS'S ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Salisbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 446165

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST NICHOLAS'S ROAD 1. 1594 (West Side) No 6 (De Vaux House) SU 1429 SW 5/356 28.2.52. II* GV 2. C17-18 front. 2 storeys and attic. Brick with lst floor string. Coved eaves cornice and tile hung gable facing front at right hand. Old tile roof. 2 hipped dormers. Irregular casement windows, some C19 light and some modern leaded, and rectangular bay window centrally under gable on lst floor with interesting carved scroll and mask wooden brackets, probably C15. Small stone buttress at right hand corner. 2 doors - the left hand door with 3 centred arched head, probably C15, ledged with cusped panel enrichment to upper part and flat arched bottom panels with enriched tops. The right hand door early C19 pointed arched with applied panel strips on ledged door. North wall of flint with stone quoins. Carved wood Angel holding coat of arms over left hand door, C14-C15. Originally part of the College de Valle founded by Bishop Giles Bridport in 1261 as a theological college which continued there until the Dissolution. No 9 De Vaux Place qv and No 8 St Nicholas's Road qv were also part of it.

Nos 6 & 8 form a group with No 9 De Vaux Place.

Listing NGR: SU1435929210

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 14360 29213

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259073 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2018 at 10:12:43.

End of official listing