49, QUAY STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1259085
Date first listed:
22-Dec-1953
Statutory Address:
49, QUAY STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 49, QUAY STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259085.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 06:17:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
49, QUAY STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Scarborough (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TA 05024 88827

Details

1. 1605 QUAY STREET (South Side) No 49 TA 0588 4/62 22.12.53.

II*

2. (Formerly the Three Mariners Public House) Late C17 recasing of timber framed building, probably C16 origin. 2 storeys red brick front with moulded brick eaves cornice, gable end pantile roof. 4 bay front with 2 windows in line to centre of both floors, small window above door to left and blind bay to right. Centre 1st floor windows 2 light thin mullioned-transomed casements, ground floor windows recessed C18 glazing bar sashes with fielded panelled shutters. 4 moulded brick pediments set over moulded brick string in line with 4 bays on ground floor. The right hand blind bay has carved brick roundel ornament to both floors. Elaborate early C18 door to left of 3 panels with shaped centre and upper panel, in late C18 architrave doorcase, frieze ornamented with fluting and roundels and small brackets supporting cornice and pediment, false rectangular fanlight. The exposed west elevation reveals timber frame with braces, tie beam, king post and collar. Interior has some traces but mostly platered or boxed in. Single bay 2 storey wing retains some traces of framing with studding. Front ground floor room has late C17/early C18 panelling.

Listing NGR: TA0502488827

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
446206
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03418/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Simon Braithwaite. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].