CORONA CHIMNEY, DEAN CLOUGH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1259134
Date first listed:
24-Jul-1980
Date of most recent amendment:
01-Mar-2011
Statutory Address:
CORONA CHIMNEY, DEAN CLOUGH, OLD LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CORONA CHIMNEY, DEAN CLOUGH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259134.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 20:33:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
CORONA CHIMNEY, DEAN CLOUGH, OLD LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Calderdale (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 08814 25924

Details



679/4/400 OLD LANE 24-JUL-80 DEAN CLOUGH Corona Chimney, Dean Clough (Formerly listed as: OLD LANE DEAN CLOUGH CORONA CHIMNEY AT NORTH WEST OF DEAN C LOUGH MILLS)

GV II Mill chimney, 1857, in coursed dressed stone with a brick lining. The chimney stands at the extreme western edge of the Dean Clough site. It is octagonal, splayed to a chamfered square at the base, and is 297 feet (90.5 metres) tall. At the top is a string course and necking with a moulded cornice surmounted by pointed cast iron plates forming a corona. At the base are the remains of an attached building to the east in a ruinous state. HISTORY: John Crossley leased a water-powered mill at Dean Clough from the Waterhouse family in 1822, but he and his brothers had been carrying out worsted spinning and dyeing there since 1802. The mill stood at the eastern end of a mill dam formed from a leat from the Hebble Brook which runs to the south of the site. From 1841 onwards the Crossley family began building a series of engine powered spinning mills and weaving sheds at Dean Clough, used in the manufacture of carpets for which they became famous.

The Corona Chimney has a datestone of 1857 at its base, though this may represent the foundation date rather than its completion. At the western edge of the Dean Clough site, it was associated with a boiler plant to the south and later with a boiler house at the west end of 'F' Mill. It may also have had a role in providing draught for the flock extraction system in 'F' Mill.

Further mills, sheds and other associated buildings were constructed through the C19, and continuing development in the C20 finally ended in 1982 when final carpet production ceased after a gradual run-down following the merger of John Crossley & Sons with Carpet Trade Holdings and the Carpet Trades Manufacturing Company of Kidderminster.

Reasons for Designation The Corona Chimney at Dean Clough, dated to 1857, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Industrial complex: It is part of the integrated complex of mill structures at Dean Clough for the manufacture of carpets in the C19 and C20 * Architecture: It is of architectural interest with an unusual cast iron capping and decorative detailing * Local interest: Its great height makes it an important local landmark and emblem of the Dean Clough complex





Listing NGR: SE0880925927

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
446326
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/07799/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Cant. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].