THE KEEP AND FLANKING WINGS, NORTON BARRACKS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1259157

Date first listed: 23-Sep-1986

Statutory Address: THE KEEP AND FLANKING WINGS, NORTON BARRACKS, CROOKBARROW ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE KEEP AND FLANKING WINGS, NORTON BARRACKS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259157 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 03:52:51.

Location

Statutory Address: THE KEEP AND FLANKING WINGS, NORTON BARRACKS, CROOKBARROW ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Worcestershire

District: Wychavon (District Authority)

Parish: Norton Juxta Kempsey

National Grid Reference: SO 86920 51765

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NORTON JUXTA KEMPSEY SO 8651 CROOKBORROW ROAD, Norton (West side) 648-0/4/943 Former Keep and flanking wings, Norton Barracks 23.9.86 II Barracks armoury, guard house, store and married quarters, now flats. 1877, designed at the War Office by Major H C Seddon RE; converted 1994. Brick with stone dressings, brick axial stacks, lateral stacks to the central keep, and hipped slate roof Fortress Greek Revival style. PLAN: Square central keep with ground-floor guard room and store above, and double-depth ranges each side. EXTERIOR: 3-storey and basement keep, 2-storeys and basement each side; 3:9:3:5:3:6:2:3-window range. Central entrance block has corner towers set forward and pseudo-machicolations to a crenellated parapet; flush ci11 and lintel bands, and eaves cornice. Central segmental archway has moulded arch and small doorway to the left with shouldered lintels, a label mould, narrow windows, with transoms to the first-floor of the centre and the right-hand tower, and 6/6-pane sashes. To the left of the left-hand tower is a canted corbelled oriel with rifle slits. 1-, 2- and 3-1ight windows to flanking ranges; end cross ranges have crow stepped gables set forward and to the ends, the right-hand one with a projecting parapeted section set forward to the left. Rear elevation similar, the N range has two crenellated 2-storey porches with steps up to round-arched entrances beneath tripartite windows. INTERIOR: Axial corridors, basement lock-ups, fire-proof keep has cantilevered dogleg stairs with cast-iron balusters, and central rooms with jack-arch ceilings. HISTORY: The Keep was a secure store for arms and equipment, as well as the guard house to the barracks, and was the characteristic building of the Localisation depots. These were built as part of the Cardwell army reforms, which were intended to strengthen the connection between a regiment and its locality, to assist recruitment. Originally the front range to a parade square and barracks, and including married quarters. One of only ten surviving examples of this important symbolic building. (SA YE Britain's Heritage: Deserted Bastions, Historic Naval and Military Architecture: London: 1993-: 123; The Buildings of England: Worcestershire: London: 1968-: 227; Watson Colonel Sir H M: History of the Corps of Royal Engineers: Chatham: 1954-: 157-160).

Listing NGR: SO8692051765

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 446388

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 227
SAVE Britains Heritage, , Deserted Bastions, (1993), 123
Watson, H M, History of the Corps of Royal Engineers, (1954), 157-160

End of official listing