Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259174.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Dec-2020 at 21:18:55.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

York (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 60511 51877



SE6051NE COLLIERGATE 1112-1/17/233 (North East side) 14/06/54 Nos.18 AND 19


House, now shop. 1748, altered, subdivided and partly raised at rear c1830; altered further with new shopfront in C20. For Ralph Yoward. Orange brick in Flemish bond with painted stone dressings; prominent dentil and modillion cornice of timber; pantile hipped roof with brick stacks. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 5-bay front. First floor windows are 1-pane sashes with painted stone sills and triple keyed flat arches of rubbed brick. Three second floor windows are 6-pane sashes similarly treated; fourth window altered to 16-pane sash. Raised second floor band. Original rainwater goods at right of centre with fine hopper embossed with cherub head, dated 1748, initialled RY; at right end, fluted inverted bell rainwater head. Rear: round-arched staircase window with radial glazed sashes: other windows are 6- and 16-pane sashes with segmental arches. Raised brick bands. Plain cornice to original part with dated and initialled rainwater head; paired modillion cornice to additional floor. INTERIOR: ground floor: rear left room has plain fireplace with pulvinated frieze and moulded cornice shelf; moulded ceiling cornice. Triple-keyed round arch on pilasters with Greek key mouldings to soffit leads to stairhall. Stairhall and stairwell lined with sunk panelling below moulded dado rail; stairhall cornice enriched with egg-and-dart mouldings. Main staircase to second floor has open string, cantilevered treads, underside shaped and scrolled, column balusters, alternately plain, fluted and twisted, and serpentine moulded handrail, wreathed at foot around turned newel on shaped curtail step. Round-headed staircase window in Gibbs surround. Bottom flight of secondary staircase altered; upper flights to second floor have close string, turned balusters, square newels and ramped-up moulded handrail. First floor: panelled landing with dentilled ceiling cornice; one doorcase has pediment, one dentilled cornice hood. Large front room: doorcases are eared with double doors of raised and fielded panels; walls panelled above dado rail with applied egg-and-dart plaster mouldings; dentil and modillion cornice. Fluted Corinthian pilasters flank chimneypiece with voluted eared fire surround, acanthus frieze and moulded cornice shelf: eared and lobed overmantel panel with corner rosettes, in surround of shell and flower drops and arabesques with garlanded top panel surmounted by pediment broken by shell. Same feature without fireplace repeated in opposite wall. Rear left room: two reeded doorcases with paterae and cornices; enriched cornice with ball mouldings. Rear right room: cast-iron fireplace with fluted jambs and frieze with

paterae and garlanded vase in centre panel. Second floor: several doors are of 6 raised and fielded panels, some on L-hinges. Centre front room has three fluted doorcases with corner lozenges, one with 3-panel cupboard door. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 119).

Listing NGR: SE6051151877


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 119


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Jan 2001
Reference: IOE01/02680/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Roberts. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].