CHRIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1259182
Date first listed:
23-Apr-1986
Date of most recent amendment:
31-Jan-1997
Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, MACCLESFIELD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHRIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259182 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-May-2019 at 12:12:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, MACCLESFIELD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
High Peak (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 04383 72877

Details

SK 07 SW; 616-1/1/93

BUXTON, MACCLESFIELD ROAD, Burbage, Christ Church

(Formerly Listed as: BURBAGE Christ Church)

23/04/86

II

Parish church. 1860-1 with additions 1891 and early C20. By Henry Currey. Patron the 7th Duke of Devonshire. Coursed millstone grit with ashlar dressings and slate roofs with coped gables and kneelers. STYLE: Romanesque Revival. PLAN: nave with aisles under parallel pitched roofs, west tower with stair turret and porch, north and south transepts, chancel with apsidal end, organ chamber, and vestries at either side.

EXTERIOR: pilaster buttresses on wide set-off plinths, chamfered plinth and sill band. All openings round headed. South front has doorway with chamfered and splayed jambs in tower with gabled string course and slender central shaft repeated on three other sides. West face has two pairs of small windows which light the porch, two narrower windows above to west and south to the ringing chamber. Above an upper string course, a pair of arched recesses to each face, contain foiled and louvred circular bell openings, with a louvred gablet at eaves level above each pair. South aisle has three windows with raised hoods and linking corbel table. South transept has two windows with large circular foiled window above. East front has central semi-circular apse with five windows and gabled vestry to right with large circular foiled window. North transept similar to south, north aisle has four windows. West front has single window to aisle with almond shaped window in gable, and to right two windows to nave with above a large circular foiled window. Semicircular stair projection at junction with west tower.

INTERIOR: plastered. Nave with square section, chamfered wooden arcade posts, on moulded stone bases, shaped angle braces to plates and pierced spandrels, creating the effect of arches. Stone piers of quatrefoil section, on west side of crossing with moulded caps. Stilted chancel arch with orders of splayed mouldings on capped shafts. 5 windows in chancel apse with trefoil arched heads. Open timber roof. Painted decoration in chancel 1916. FITTINGS: include early C20 in C14 Gothic style. Altar and retable in mid C16 English renaissance style. Square Caen stone font. The pews are reputedly Butterly pews. Derbyshire black marble pillars. GLASS: include C19 and C20 windows; the south aisle middle window 1915 by Morris & Co.

Listing NGR: SK0438372877

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
463152
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Foster, F A , A Short History of Burbage and its Parish Church, (1961)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, (1953), 112

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].