This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

RANGE APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES NORTH WEST OF THE CHAPEL AT ST PETERS SCHOOL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: RANGE APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES NORTH WEST OF THE CHAPEL AT ST PETERS SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1259195

Location

RANGE APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES NORTH WEST OF THE CHAPEL AT ST PETERS SCHOOL, CLIFTON

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Mar-1997

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 463125

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE5952NE CLIFTON 1112-1/7/209 (South West side) Range approx 10 metres north-west of the Chapel at St Peter's School

GV II

Classroom range. Dated 1927. By FT Penty and JEN Thompson. Orange-brown brick in English bond with chamfered stone plinth; quoins and dressings of artificial stone; Westmorland slate roof with stone copings and octagonal brick stack. EXTERIOR: 3-storey centrepiece flanked by 2-storey 11-bay ranges; staircase bays towards the ends of flanking ranges are gabled. Centrepiece is embattled and has octagonal embattled turrets at each corner, chequered vertically with bands of brick and artificial stone: ground floor is pierced by moulded 4-centred archway; first floor has 5-light mullioned and transomed window; above is square-headed window of 2 segment-arched lights. Doorways in flanking ranges are moulded with 4-centred heads and sunk-panelled double doors or board single doors. First floor windows in gabled bays are embattled oriels: all windows are mullioned and transomed either of 2 or 3 lights or in bands of multiple lights: mullions and transoms are chamfered and window sills moulded. Ashlar band beneath hollow chamfered first floor string course. Rear repeats principal front with the omission of oriel windows. INTERIOR: not inspected. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: York and the East Riding: Harmondsworth: 1972-: 153).



Listing NGR: SE5954352660

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972), 153

National Grid Reference: SE 59543 52660

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259195 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2018 at 11:06:17.

End of official listing