SCHOOLHOUSE AT ST PETERS SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1259196
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1954
Date of most recent amendment:
14-Mar-1997
Statutory Address:
SCHOOLHOUSE AT ST PETERS SCHOOL, CLIFTON

Map

Ordnance survey map of SCHOOLHOUSE AT ST PETERS SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259196 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2019 at 23:35:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
SCHOOLHOUSE AT ST PETERS SCHOOL, CLIFTON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
York (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 59626 52610

Details

YORK

SE5952NE CLIFTON 1112-1/7/206 (South West side) 14/06/54 Schoolhouse at St Peter's School (Formerly Listed as: CLIFTON C19 block and Chapel at Royal School of St Peter)

GV II

School. 1838 extended c1900. Original building by John Harper, extended by WH Brierley. Grey brick in Flemish bond on moulded stone plinth, with ashlar quoins and dressings; brick stacks with stone cornices to slate roof. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attics; 3-bay projecting block to left of 3-bay range connected at right angles by 2 link bays to Hall range (qv). Projecting block has central porch with 4-centred arched opening flanked by squat weathered buttresses and recessed glazed and panelled door. To left is gabled bay with slender embattled octagonal turrets: central part is shallow 2-storey square bay surmounted by embattled parapet with windows of 4 mullioned and transomed lights on each floor; attic window is single light deeply recessed in splayed surround with 2-centred head and hoodmould. To right is full height canted bay with 6-light window on ground floor, 4-light windows on first and attic floors: ground and first floor windows are sashes, transomed on ground floor; attic windows are casements. All are in hollow chamfered ashlar surrounds. Upper floor windows over porch are single lights in moulded ashlar surrounds. Hollow moulded strings run over ground floor windows, beneath first floor, beneath attic window sill and gable coping; gable and canted bay have moulded copings. 3-bay range to right has 3-light ground floor windows with transoms; on first floor, one pair of narrow 3-pane lights between squat 12-pane sashes; 3 pairs of narrow 3-pane lights to attic: all have ashlar surrounds, quoined on ground floor. Hollow moulded eaves course extends from projecting block. Linking bays have board door beneath flat canopy between fixed light windows to right and with 5-light clerestory above; similar 5-light window on first floor. Left bay has paired 12-pane sashes on each floor and moulded and corbelled brick eaves courses beneath plain parapet. Left return towards Clifton: gabled front is repeated, to right of 2 bays with mullioned and transomed sash windows. INTERIOR: not inspected. Originally built as a Proprietary School by a company formed by leading York citizens. In 1844 purchased by Dean and Chapter and amalgamated with St Peter's School. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1975-: 53).

Listing NGR: SE5962652610

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
463126
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York IV East, (1975), 53

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Apr 2001
Reference: IOE01/03347/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Roberts. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].