BARLEY HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1259208

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Statutory Address: BARLEY HALL, 2, COFFEE YARD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARLEY HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259208 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 01:28:06.

Location

Statutory Address: BARLEY HALL, 2, COFFEE YARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60292 52030

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6052SW COFFEE YARD 1112-1/27/217 (North East side) 14/06/54 No.2 Barley Hall

GV II

Formerly known as: Building on SE side, 30 yds SE of Stonegate COFFEE YARD. Probably Prebendal Hospice, later house. Probably C13 originally, with C15 hall; alterations of mid C15, c1600, early C19; restored and partly reconstructed c1990. Timber-framed, and brick with pantile and plain tile roofs. PLAN: long range of medieval lodgings to north-east with a late medieval hall house added at south-west, when first range was adapted to form solar and private apartments to important town house. EXTERIOR: north-east range: now largely reconstructed re-using original timbers where possible. Exterior completely rebuilt. INTERIOR: retains a mutilated C17 brick stack and stairwell with early C19 staircase. South-east hall range: 2-bay 2-storey open hall, reconstructed with original south-east wall and roof truss: central hall truss re-used. Passage, now a thoroughfare, retains restored original framing including ogee-arched entrance and blocked service doorway with 4-centred head, both in chamfered openings. Exterior to south-west completely rebuilt. Extension of c1600 to south-east survives largely intact. Exterior south-east wall brick with various later openings, including 2-leaf lifting door above passage, and first floor 3-light window with rendered brick mullions. Interior has brick chimney stack with two Tudor-arched fireplaces. Restoration carried out c1990 by the York Archaeological Trust, when much of the building was taken down and a complete restoration of the medieval and late medieval fabric carried out. Most of the timber-framing in the north-east range was replaced. (Michelmore D and Wright R: The Coffee Yard Project: 1985-; City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 232).

Listing NGR: SE6029252030

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463138

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 232
Wright, , Mitchelmore, , The Coffee Yard Project, (1985)

End of official listing