TRANSMITTER BLOCK AT TF 2565 8265, FORMER RAF STENIGOT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1259212
Date first listed:
22-Jan-1997
Statutory Address:
TRANSMITTER BLOCK AT TF 2565 8265, FORMER RAF STENIGOT

Map

Ordnance survey map of TRANSMITTER BLOCK AT TF 2565 8265, FORMER RAF STENIGOT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259212 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 22:45:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
TRANSMITTER BLOCK AT TF 2565 8265, FORMER RAF STENIGOT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Donington on Bain
National Grid Reference:
TF 25650 82650

Details

TF28SE DONINGTON ON BAIN Transmitter Block at TF 2565 8265, former RAF Stenigot 1844- /3/10004 GV II

Transmitter block on "Type A" radar station. Built 1938. Brick construction with flat reinforced concrete roof enclosed by 5ft 6in (1.7m) wall containing flint shingle to disperse blast. Rectangular-plan building, with iron grilles to vents and lit with timber windows to side walls, is surrounded by concrete blast walls banked with earth. INTERIOR has retained evidence for original gas filtration plant. Stenigot was one of 20 sites along the east coast of Britain which had been chosen as "Advanced" stations by September 1937. The transmitter and receiver blocks (qv) and towers - of which the transmitter tower (qv) is the most complete to have survived on any of the Chain Home stations - had been completed by 1939. The transmission and receiving of radio waves were essential functions of radio direction finding equipment (radar), and the operation of both were based in buildings surrounded by blast walls for defence against air attack. "Type A" sites were modelled on the layouts established at Bawdsey Experimental Station. and models established at Bawdsey Experimental Station.

(Measured drawings and analysis by RCHME, 1997)





Listing NGR: TF2565082650

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
463142
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/00281/20
Rights: Copyright IoE John Webber. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].