VICARAGE AND VICARAGE LODGE TO CHURCH OF ST PHILIP AND ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1259231
Date first listed:
24-Jun-1983
Statutory Address:
VICARAGE AND VICARAGE LODGE TO CHURCH OF ST PHILIP AND ST JAMES, CLIFTON

Map

Ordnance survey map of VICARAGE AND VICARAGE LODGE TO CHURCH OF ST PHILIP AND ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259231.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 21:14:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
VICARAGE AND VICARAGE LODGE TO CHURCH OF ST PHILIP AND ST JAMES, CLIFTON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
York (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 59313 53151

Details

YORK

SE5953SW CLIFTON 1112-1/5/202 (East side (off)) 24/06/83 Vicarage and Vicarage Lodge to Church of St Philip and St James

GV II

Vicarage and attached house. 1879-80. Designed by JL Pearson 1877-8 for the Rev. GH Straffen. MATERIALS:: orange brick in English bond on ground floor; first floor hung with plain and fishscale tiles. Plain tile roofs, half hipped and gabled with banks of tall ornately moulded brick stacks with brick corbel cornices; bargeboards to gables and gablets; gablets have tiny pointed openings with glass louvres. Cast-iron weather vane dated 1879 to porch gable; terracotta finial on conical roof to semicircular bow window. EXTERIOR: 2-storey 3-bay main range with 2-storey, one-and-a-half bay projecting wing to left: main range has 2-storey projecting porch with first floor deeply coved and jettied on shaped joists and brackets. Porch has nail studded board double doors on ground floor; on first floor 6-light window with 8-pane casements and timber mullions. Bay to left of porch has coved jetty and small-pane mullioned and transomed windows to left of smaller 2-light windows with pivoting top lights on both floors. On ground floor to right of porch is one window of two 8-pane lights. Moulded sillstring is stepped and broken by longer windows. Cogged brick course beneath first floor of right bay and deep coved eaves return over left part of garden front. Crosswing has nail studded door beneath flat porch in half bay. Left bay projects and has 5-light window with casements and top lights on both floors; first floor window projects as shallow square bay on shaped brackets. Brick corbel course beneath first floor returns on left side. Garden front: 2 storeys, 3 bays: to left is 2-storey shallow square bay; to right, full height semicircular bay with conical roof and finial. In centre bay, only 3-light first floor window is visible. Windows in square bay are of 5 lights: in semicircular bay, windows are banded beneath moulded timber cornices on both floors. All are mullioned and transomed with 1-pane casements and small-pane transom lights. INTERIOR: not inspected.

Listing NGR: SE5931353151

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
463119
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Apr 2001
Reference: IOE01/03348/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Roberts. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].