This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ST OLAVES HOUSE (ST OLAVES SCHOOL)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ST OLAVES HOUSE (ST OLAVES SCHOOL)

List entry Number: 1259233

Location

ST OLAVES HOUSE (ST OLAVES SCHOOL), CLIFTON

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Jun-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 463121

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE5952NW CLIFTON 1112-1/6/204 (West side (off)) 24/06/83 St Olave's House (St Olave's School)

II

House, now school. 1813. For David Russell, solicitor, altered C20. Stucco with hipped concrete tile roofs. EXTERIOR: main block symmetrical, of 2 storeys and 3 bays. The windows are glazing bar sashes and are taller on the ground floor. The porch has a sprocketed hipped roof, a divided 4-panel door with pilaster jambs, and a semicircular overlight incorporating a lamp. To the left there is a single-storey one-bay C20 addition with a coped parapet and a tripartite glazing bar sash window. To the right there is a 2-storey 2-bay wing which has glazing bar sashes and has a small square window between the 1st floor windows. INTERIOR: the inner porch door is of oak and partly glazed. The doors opening off the stair hall are of mahogany, with 6 panels which have margins formed by raised mouldings. The dog-leg stair has an open string, turned mahogany balusters, and a wreathed mahogany handrail. House was known as Clifton Grove when built. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: London: 1975-: 67).



Listing NGR: SE5947952703

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York IV East, (1975), 67

National Grid Reference: SE 59479 52703

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259233 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2018 at 12:04:19.

End of official listing