FORMER MEMORIAL GYMNASIUM AT ST PETERS SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1259234

Date first listed: 01-Jul-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Mar-1997

Statutory Address: FORMER MEMORIAL GYMNASIUM AT ST PETERS SCHOOL, CLIFTON

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER MEMORIAL GYMNASIUM AT ST PETERS SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259234 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 00:35:22.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER MEMORIAL GYMNASIUM AT ST PETERS SCHOOL, CLIFTON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 59600 52676

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE5952NE CLIFTON 1112-1/7/208 (South West side) 01/07/68 Former Memorial Gymnasium at St Peter's School (Formerly Listed as: CLIFTON The Memorial Gymnasium at St Peter's School)

GV II

Gymnasium, now library. By Francis Bedford. Foundation stone dated 1894. Snecked sandstone with sandstone ashlar dressings. Pantiled roof. EXTERIOR: single storey. South-east wall of 5 bays separated by buttresses. The windows have 2 cinquefoiled mullioned lights, 2 transoms, and leaded glazing. The lower part of the left-hand window has blind stone panels. The right-hand, entrance, bay, has an ashlar panel with a moulded surround which rises to a central square sundial with raised carved numerals and Latin inscription. Below there is a window of 2 low cinquefoiled ogee lights above a moulded Tudor-arched doorway with an oak door which has applied mouldings in geometrical patterns. Above the archway there is a carved shield of arms to each side. To the right of the doorway there is a foundation stone inscribed: 'ALMAE MATRI ALUMINUS ERATIAS AD MDCCCXCIV DECANO A.P. PUREY-CUST CANCELLARIO I. RAINE MAGISTRO G.T. HANDFORD'. The north-east gable wall, facing the road, has a window of 4 cinquefoiled ogee lights with transom under a straight head with Perpendicular tracery. The south-west gable wall has a window of 2 cinquefoiled ogee lights with transom to each side of a central doorway. This has a door with raised mouldings in geometrical patterns, a moulded Tudor archway, and a panel above carved with leaf and rose decoration with a central shield with crossed keys. Below the apex of the gable there is a mullioned window of 4 cinquefoiled lights. INTERIOR: not inspected. (Bartholomew City Guides: Hutchinson J and Palliser DM: York: Edinburgh: 1980-: 257; Murray H: Heraldry and the Buildings of York: York: 1985-: 56-58).



Listing NGR: SE5960052676

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463122

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Murray, H , Heraldry and the Buildings of York, (1985), 56-58
Hutchinson, J, Palliser, D M, 'Bartholomew City Guides' in York, (1980), 257

End of official listing