BUILDING 13 (NORTH BARRACK BLOCK), SOUTH BARRACKS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1259236

Date first listed: 29-Jan-1997

Statutory Address: BUILDING 13 (NORTH BARRACK BLOCK), SOUTH BARRACKS, DOVER ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BUILDING 13 (NORTH BARRACK BLOCK), SOUTH BARRACKS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259236 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 14:14:17.

Location

Statutory Address: BUILDING 13 (NORTH BARRACK BLOCK), SOUTH BARRACKS, DOVER ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Dover (District Authority)

Parish: Walmer

National Grid Reference: TR 37516 51346

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TR 35 SE DEAL DOVER ROAD, Lower Walmer (north west side)

860/5/10012 Building 13 (North Barrack Block), South Barracks

GV II



Infantry barracks, now Royal Marines barracks. 1795, by J Johnson and J Sanders, architects for the Barrack Department; Royal Marines barracks since 1869, altered mid C20. Brick with brick lateral stacks to the ends and two to the front, and a central ridge stack, and a slate hipped roof. Double-depth plan. Mid Georgian style. 3 storeys; 10-window range. EXTERIOR: Symmetrical front has segmental brick arches to doorways three bays from the end with mid C20 doors, 6/6-pane sashes and second-floor 3/3-pane sashes, some horned, and 2 lead-clad dormers with casements. Returns have 2 blind windows. Rear is extensively rebuilt, with similar fenestation, and 6 dormers as the front. INTERIOR much altered; originally with stairs from the entrances. HISTORICAL NOTE: Part of a large infantry barracks built for over 2000 men, in the country's first barrack-building campaign. With the slightly earlier blocks at Hounslow (qqv), this is the only surviving example from this period of a barracks for the infantry, and listed for its historic interest with the Officers' Mess and Cavalry Barracks (qqv).



Listing NGR: TR3677351934

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463082

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing