BOOTHAM GRANGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1259246

Date first listed: 28-Apr-1988

Date of most recent amendment: 28-Apr-1998

Statutory Address: BOOTHAM GRANGE, 7, CLIFTON

Map

Ordnance survey map of BOOTHAM GRANGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259246 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 03:28:40.

Location

Statutory Address: BOOTHAM GRANGE, 7, CLIFTON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 59723 52565

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE5952NE CLIFTON 1112-1/7/181 (South West side) 28/04/88 No.7 Bootham Grange

GV II

Pair of large houses, now hotel. c1840. Grey brick. Welsh slate roof. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with cellars, 1:6 bays; bay one is set back with contemporary one-storey side wing in front angle; bays 2-7 form symmetrical facade. Corner pilasters with chamfered plinths and Composite capitals. Round-arched door surrounds to bays 4 and 5; bay 4 with original 6-panel door and 3-pane overlight, bay 5 with C20 copy. Sashes with glazing bars under brick arches; projecting sills to ground floor; moulded sill bands to upper windows. Overhanging eaves with wooden cornice on shaped brackets; hipped roof with end stacks and central ridge stacks. Side wing on left has part-glazed door in wooden doorcase flanked by sashes with glazing bars under recessed panels; string course, parapet and hipped roof. Bay one of main house has 2nd floor window as rest and hipped left end to roof. Left return: 4 bays with some blind windows. Right return: red brick. INTERIOR: both doorways now open into a single lobby, with a C20 glazed screen wall set back from the entrance and with a glazed door opening into the stair halls which are stone-paved and now united by a wide archway. Former left house with original staircase having cast-iron balustrade with anthemion/acanthus panels between rods with entwined vines; coiled handrail; rectangular lantern. No staircase to former right-hand house. Off each stair hall is a screen with round arch on columns. Fireplace in front-left room is of grey marble with black Doric columns. Front-right room with classical marble fireplace and Greek-fret ceiling frieze. Shown on 1st OS map (surveyed 1850). (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: London: 1975-: 67).

Listing NGR: SE5972352565

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463092

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York IV East, (1975), 67

End of official listing