This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

8, CLIFTON

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 8, CLIFTON

List entry Number: 1259248

Location

8, CLIFTON

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 463094

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE5952NE CLIFTON 1112-1/7/182 (North East side) 14/06/54 No.8

GV II

House. 1782-84; rear wing added c1830. Built for Joseph Goodlad of Harrogate. Brick in Flemish bond with painted stone dressings and hipped slate roof. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys above cellars and 4 bays. The facade has a plinth with cellar openings, ground and first floor sill bands, a storey band above the ground-floor windows, and a dentilled gutter cornice. The windows are glazing bar sashes with rubbed brick flat arches. The doorway has 4 small glazed lights above an architrave and below a cornice hood on console brackets. The door has 6 panels, the upper 2 glazed. Chimneys to left and right. Rear: extension has 2-storey bay to right of 3-storey full-height segmental bow with hipped roof. 2-storey bay has glazed garden door in pilastered doorcase on ground floor, and round headed window above. Bow has tall 20-pane sash on ground floor, similar squatter window on first floor and 16-pane sash on second floor. INTERIOR: not inspected: RCHM records staircase with original turned balusters and fireplaces in front rooms with enriched surrounds. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: London: 1975-: 64).





Listing NGR: SE5972852613

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York IV East, (1975), 64

National Grid Reference: SE 59728 52613

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259248 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2018 at 07:56:57.

End of official listing