GRINLOW TOWER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1259254

Date first listed: 07-Jan-1987

Date of most recent amendment: 31-Jan-1997

Statutory Address: GRINLOW TOWER, GRIN LOW ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of GRINLOW TOWER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259254 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 13:42:59.

Location

Statutory Address: GRINLOW TOWER, GRIN LOW ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: High Peak (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 05399 71743

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BUXTON

SK07SE GRIN LOW ROAD 616-1/2/114 (North side (off)) 07/01/87 Grinlow Tower (Formerly Listed as: OFF GRIN LOW ROAD Soloman's Temple at Grid Ref SK 054 718)

II

Also known as: Soloman's Temple GRIN LOW ROAD. Folly. 1840 for Samuel Mycock. Rebuilt 1894 and restored in 1987. Rubble limestone, with tooled gritstone dressings. Circular plan. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Round headed doorway reached up 4 steps. Impost and sill bands link with 7 round headed openings with keystones. Above blind circular opening over door, 7 further blind openings all round headed and linked by chamfered sill band. Above ashlar courses to eaves, moulded eaves band and battlements. INTERIOR: stone spiral stairs with iron handrail. HISTORY: originally built to provide work for the town's unemployed.



Listing NGR: SK0539971743

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463100

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing