City wall from Baile Hill to Barker Tower, including Barker Tower and North Street Postern, Victoria Bar and Micklegate Bar

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1259262

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Mar-1997

Statutory Address: BARKER TOWER AND NORTH STREET POSTERN, NORTH STREET

Statutory Address: CITY WALL FROM BAILE HILL TO BARKER TOWER, CITY WALLS

Statutory Address: MICKLEGATE BAR, MICKLEGATE

Statutory Address: VICTORIA BAR, NUNNERY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of City wall from Baile Hill to Barker Tower, including Barker Tower and North Street Postern, Victoria Bar and Micklegate Bar
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259262 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 02:25:45.

Location

Statutory Address: BARKER TOWER AND NORTH STREET POSTERN, NORTH STREET

Statutory Address: CITY WALL FROM BAILE HILL TO BARKER TOWER, CITY WALLS

Statutory Address: MICKLEGATE BAR, MICKLEGATE

Statutory Address: VICTORIA BAR, NUNNERY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 59683 51630

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 16/12/2014

SE5951NE 1112-1/15/7

YORK, CITY WALLS, City Wall from Baile Hill to Barker Tower

(Formerly Listed as: The City Walls) (Formerly Listed as: Micklegate Bar) (Formerly Listed as: Barker Tower and North Street Postern)

14/06/54

GV I

Includes: Barker Tower and North Street Postern NORTH STREET. Includes: Victoria Bar NUNNERY LANE. Includes: Micklegate Bar MICKLEGATE.

Defensive walls, towers, gates and gatehouses between Baile Hill and Barker Tower including Baile Hill Tower, Bitch-daughter Tower and 15 intermediate towers, in addition to the 3 main towers. Walls 1250-60 and 1330-40; major restoration of 1831-32. Walls breached for railway arches in 1839, 1845, 1874 and 1876, latter rebuilt 1965. Baile Hill Tower 1878 when walls adjacent to Skeldergate Bridge (qv) were demolished. Bitch-daughter Tower 1330-40, remodelled 1645. Victoria Bar constructed 1838, foot arches added 1864 and 1877. Micklegate Bar mid C14 incorporating early C12 gate; barbican removed 1826, inner side remodelled by Peter Atkinson jnr. 1827; foot arches 1827 and 1863; figures carved in 1950 by Walter Rylett; restoration and repairs of 1952 and 1968. North Street Postern rebuilt 1840. Barker Tower early C14, re-roofed in C17, altered 1840, restored 1970. All structures of magnesian limestone ashlar except for walkway partly carried on wall of orange-brown brick and Victoria Bar steps of orange brick with stone treads and cast-iron balustrade and handrail. Barker Tower has plain tiled conical roof with overhanging eaves. EXTERIOR: wall strengthened by squat weathered buttresses on high bases. Wallwalk paved with stone flags edged with chamfered coping stones; parapet part crenellated, part plain and pierced by musket loops, with sloped coping. Towers are semicircular, rectangular or half-hexagonal, on battered, weathered and double chamfered plinths; some have cruciform slits with or without oillets, some chamfered doorways with shouldered or flat lintels, others no openings; crenellated parapets are unpierced. Baile Hill Tower octagonal on plan; Bitch-daughter Tower irregular circle on plan; Barker Tower circular on plan. Baile Hill Tower: 2 storeys with embattled parapet. Flight of steps to wallwalk passes through tower from foot of rampart, through arched doorway with stilted 2-centred head. Other openings are 3 slit lights in chamfered openings and 2 arrow slits with oillets, one blocked. Victoria Bar: semicircular carriage arch of 2 chamfered orders flanked by single chamfered pedestrian arches. Incised stone above central arch reads: Victoria Bar erected by Public Subscription under the direction of The City Commissioners AD1836 George Hudson Esq Lord Mayor. Micklegate Bar: 4-storey 3-bay front: outer bays in form of pilaster buttresses with battered bases rising into 2-storey embattled bartizans with cruciform arrow slits. Semicircular carriage arch incorporating portcullis slot, of 2 stepped orders of gritstone voussoirs. First stage has narrow vertical light over arch: in buttresses shoulder-headed doorways originally to barbican walkway, all in chamfered openings. Second stage has similar central light flanked by cruciform arrow slits with oillets. Third floor has two vertical lights. Bartizans joined by embattled parapet over lion's head gargoyle in centre: some merlons pierced by cruciform slits. Heraldry includes carved plaque commemorating restoration of 1727, with shield of arms of Lord Mayor Sir John Lister Kaye; two shields of the Arms of the City of York: the Plantagenet Royal Arms beneath a crested helm. Inner side: carriage arch as on outer side. Each upper storey has two square-headed windows of two pointed lights in chamfered surrounds. Corbel course beneath plain parapet steps up over top floor windows. Shield of Tudor Royal Arms between first floor windows. INTERIOR: portcullis remains are stored on the first floor. North Street Postern: rebuilt length of wall contains 4-centred carriage arch between pointed side arches of gritstone voussoirs, all chamfered. Barker Tower: 2 storeys on battered base: conical roof broken by barge- boarded gable with 1-light attic window in quoined opening. Ground floor door beneath outside stairs to first floor has one chamfered jamb with run-out stop. Other openings are vestigial cruciform arrow slits with oillets and two inserted 1-pane windows. First floor doorway has plain lintel. Embrasures of original embattled parapet converted to 1-pane windows by altered roof: two 2x6-pane Yorkshire sashes inserted in C18. INTERIOR: original ground floor openings are splayed with shouldered rere-arches recessed beneath 2-centred arches: 3 survive, 2 altered. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York: The Defences: HMSO: 1972-: 90-107).

Listing NGR: SE5968351630

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463065

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York II Defences, (1972), 90-107

End of official listing