Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259270.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Jan-2021 at 23:56:13.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

York (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 60339 52837



SE6052NW CLARENCE STREET 1112-1/8/173 (West side) 16/02/88 Groves Chapel


Wesleyan Chapel, now offices. 1881-4 by WJ Morley (Bradford), but dated 1883 on frieze. Light red brick with sandstone dressings; slate roof. EXTERIOR: road front 2 storeys, 4 bays with 2 inner bays raised, projecting and pedimented. Paired doors with fanlights in twin arched porch with keyed archivolts resting on detached columns; impost string, cornice and low blocking course (original balustrade over porch now removed). Flanking segment-headed windows, with apron panels, in architraves. At first floor centre 2 large round-arched windows, with shaped glazing in heads, in keyed architraves with impost string; this section framed in side pilasters and top entablature with WESLEYAN 1883 CHAPEL in stone frieze panels and cornice on paired brackets. Pediment has oculus in tympanum, acroterion and antefixae. Side bays have similar but plainer windows, side pilasters, cornice and blocking course with urns on corner pedestals. Hipped roof with ridge vents. 6-bay returns have windows similar to those in front outer bays; and first-floor string and top entablature. Lower 1-bay rear extension. INTERIOR: a large open preaching box with gallery curved round 3 sides. Deeply-coved cornice to panelled ceiling with raised borders framing large, ornamented central areas. Central pulpit area now partitioned off, as are the choir benches above and the large organ, with panelled arcaded console, framed in fluted composite pilasters and entablature with enriched frieze. Good-quality panelled woodwork throughout. Painted glass in heads of windows with archivolts linked by impost string.

Listing NGR: SE6033952837


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Jan 2001
Reference: IOE01/02680/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Roberts. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].