MAIN GRANDSTAND BUILDING AT WARWICK RACECOURSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1259272

Date first listed: 03-Feb-1997

Statutory Address: MAIN GRANDSTAND BUILDING AT WARWICK RACECOURSE, HAMPTON STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of MAIN GRANDSTAND BUILDING AT WARWICK RACECOURSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259272 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 20:38:25.

Location

Statutory Address: MAIN GRANDSTAND BUILDING AT WARWICK RACECOURSE, HAMPTON STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Warwick (District Authority)

Parish: Warwick

National Grid Reference: SP 27600 64558

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 2764 WARWICK HAMPTON STREET

811-0/8/10016 Main Grandstand Building at Warwick Racecourse

- II

Racecourse grandstands. 1809, enlarged circa 1819 and altered 1851; extended circa 1900; altered 1908 and 1930s. Largely brick with slate roofs. Brick axial stacks. PLAN: The grandstand comprises three adjoining stands: At the centre the Tattershall stand of 1809, enlarged circa 1819 and altered in 1851. In about 1900 the Club Members` stand was added on the SW side [right] and another stand without a canopy was built on the NE [left] side. The original stand at the centre had a canopy added in 1908 and the totaliser and a reinforced concrete balcony built in the 1930s; the judges observation box on top was added in 1948. EXTERIOR: Tattershall stand at the centre has band of nine 12-pane sashes with pilasters in between, glazed double-doors to right and new entrance to left; 5-bay reinforced concrete balcony over; canopy above with hipped roof with eaves brackets on slender iron columns, in the left bay totaliser installed with judge`s box above; basement now concealed by terrace has early C19 4-centred arch windows with cast-iron frames. The Club Members` stand on the right has cast-iron posts with brackets supporting balcony with balustrade and canopy. Another 6-bay stand to left has cast-iron posts supporting open balcony with railed balustrade. Rear elevation to Hampton Street: painted brick centre of circa mid C19 with various sash windows with glazing bars and pilastered doorway with panelled doors; red brick circa 1900 ranges to left and right with 4-pane sashes. INTERIOR: Club Member`s Stand has some C19 joinery, including panelled doors and chimneypieces in the Castle Suite and Steward`s room. SOURCES: Information provided by Warwick District Council. Engravings and photographs, Warwickshire County Record Office.



Listing NGR: SP2760064558

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463075

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing