BUILDING 65 AND ATTACHED REAR WALL, NORTH BARRACKS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1259274
Date first listed:
29-Jan-1997
Statutory Address:
BUILDING 65 AND ATTACHED REAR WALL, NORTH BARRACKS, NORTH BARRACK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BUILDING 65 AND ATTACHED REAR WALL, NORTH BARRACKS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259274.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2019 at 13:24:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
BUILDING 65 AND ATTACHED REAR WALL, NORTH BARRACKS, NORTH BARRACK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Dover (District Authority)
Parish:
Walmer
National Grid Reference:
TR 37568 51809

Details

TR 35 SE DEAL NORTH BARRACK ROAD (north east side) 860/5/10005 Building 65 and attached rear wall, North Barracks

GV II

Officer's house. 1810-1830. Rendered brick with rendered ridge stacks and hipped slate roof. Double-depth plan. Late Georgian style. 2 storeys; 3-window range. Symmetrical front with overhanging eaves, has a mid C20 porch to a round-arched doorway with batswing fanlight and 6-panel door. Ground-floor horned 6/6-pane sashes, with mid C20 first-floor casements; 3-window sides. The rear has a central flat-roofed stair tower and single-storey service block. INTERIOR not inspected, but noted as having original joinery and stairs . Subsidiary features: Attached rear brick wall connecting with Buildings 66 and 67 (qqv). HISTORICAL NOTE: Built as officers' housing at the former Deal military hospital. This was one of the first generation of army hospitals in England, built in 1797, of which the houses are the last part. The houses were probably built for the surgeon and other officials, and are comparable with the c1814 houses at the East Barracks former naval hospital (qqv), and form an unusual group.



Listing NGR: TR3677351934

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
463077
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Dec 2005
Reference: IOE01/15058/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Belinda Wallace. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].