This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BUILDING 66 AND 67 AND ATTACHED REAR WALL, NORTH BARRACKS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BUILDING 66 AND 67 AND ATTACHED REAR WALL, NORTH BARRACKS

List entry Number: 1259276

Location

BUILDING 66 AND 67 AND ATTACHED REAR WALL, NORTH BARRACKS, NORTH BARRACK ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Dover

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Walmer

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Jan-1997

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 463079

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TR 35 SE DEAL NORTH BARRACK ROAD (north east side) 860/5/10006 Building 66 and 67 and attached rear wall North Barracks

GV II

Pair of officer's houses. 1810-1830. Rendered brick with rendered ridge and rear lateral stacks and hipped slate roof. Double-depth plan. Late Georgian style. 2 storeys and basement; 10-window range. Symmetrical front with end pairs of windows set forward and overhanging eaves, has mid C20 porches to the ends of the central section to round-arched doorways with batswing fanlights and doors with 6 flush panels. Ground-floor horned 6/6-pane sashes, first-floor 3/3-pane sashes to right-hand house and mid C20 casements to the left-hand house; 2-window sides. The rear has single-storey service blocks to each house. INTERIOR has a central stair hall with a stair flight with uncut string, column newels and stick balusters, and ramped rail, panelled shutters and cornices; a first-floor fireplace has fluted jambs and raised crowns. Subsidiary features: Attached rear brick wall connects with Nos 65 and 67 (qqv). HISTORICAL NOTE: Built as officers' houses at the former Deal military hospital. This was one of the first generation of army hospitals in England, built in 1797, of which the houses are the last part. They were probably for the surgeon and other officials, comparable with the c1814 houses at the East barracks former naval hospital, and forming an interesting group.



Listing NGR: TR3677351934

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TR 37593 51794

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259276 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 06:14:59.

End of official listing