This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BUILDING 68 AND ATTACHED REAR WALL, NORTH BARRACKS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BUILDING 68 AND ATTACHED REAR WALL, NORTH BARRACKS

List entry Number: 1259277

Location

BUILDING 68 AND ATTACHED REAR WALL, NORTH BARRACKS, NORTH BARRACK ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Dover

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Walmer

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Jan-1997

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 463080

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TR 35 SE DEAL NORTH BARRACK ROAD (north east side) 860/5/10007 Building 68 and attached rear wall, North Barracks

GV II

Officer's house. 1810-1830. Rendered brick with rendered ridge and rear lateral stacks and hipped slate roof. Double-depth plan with rear right-hand wing. 2 storeys; 3-window range. Symmetrical front with overhanging eaves, has mid C20 porch to round-arched doorways with batswing fanlights and 6-panel doors. Ground-floor 6/6-pane sashes, first-floor mid C20 casements; 3-window left-and and 4-window right-hand sides. The rear has a flat-roofed stair tower and single-storey service block. INTERIOR not inspected, but reported to contain original stairs and fireplaces. Subsidiary features: Attached rear wall connects with Nos 65 and 67 (qqv). HISTORICAL NOTE: Built as officers' houses at the Deal military hospital. This was one of the first generation of military hospitals in England, built in 1797 and of which this is the last part. They were probably for the surgeon and other officials, comparable with the c1814 houses at East barracks former naval hospital (qqv), and form an interesting group.





Listing NGR: TR3677351934

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TR 37617 51780

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259277 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 12:30:32.

End of official listing