WINDING ENGINE HOUSE, NEWBURY COLLIERY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1259300
Date first listed:
22-Jan-1997
Statutory Address:
WINDING ENGINE HOUSE, NEWBURY COLLIERY

Map

Ordnance survey map of WINDING ENGINE HOUSE, NEWBURY COLLIERY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259300 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 19:11:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
WINDING ENGINE HOUSE, NEWBURY COLLIERY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Coleford
National Grid Reference:
ST 69589 49771

Details



ST64NE COLEFORD Winding Engine House, Newbury Colliery 1102- /9/10012

II

Winding Engine house. c.1860. Roughly coursed dressed limestone with hammer-dressed architraves and quoins; gabled corrugated iron roof. Rectangular plan. Two storeys. Bob wall in gable end has corrugated iron panel to opening, and keyed semi-circular arch to basement level. Return and rear elevations have keyed semi-circular arched openings above similar arched openings to basement level. INTERIOR not inspected. The site was producing coal by 1799, and this building is associated with an expansion of operations when the Mackintosh shaft was sunk and opened in 1867. Cornish pumping engines dominated 19th century collieries. This is the best surviving example of an engine house from the Mendip area coalfields, and is important in a national context as a survivor from the coal industry. (Down, C. and Warrington, A., History of the Somerset Coalfield, 1970, pp. 233-7)



Listing NGR: ST6958949771

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
463017
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Down, C G, Warrington, A J, The History of the Somerset Coalfield, (1970), 233-7

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Nov 2007
Reference: IOE01/16791/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].