This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

York Cemetery Chapel

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: York Cemetery Chapel

List entry Number: 1259304

Location

York Cemetery Chapel, Cemetery Road

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jul-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Mar-1997

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 463022

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE65SW 1112-1/2/149 YORK CEMETERY ROAD (East side (off)) York Cemetery Chapel

(Formerly Listed as: CEMETERY ROAD Cemetery Chapel)

01/07/68

GV II* Formerly known as: The Mortuary Chapel CEMETERY ROAD.

Cemetery chapel. Designed by JP Pritchett in 1837 for The York Public Cemetery Company; restored 1987-92 for York Cemetery Trust. Limestone ashlar from Roche Abbey; shallow pitched slate roof with stone copings.

EXTERIOR: One-storey seven-bay block on basement plinth with Ionic tetrastyle portico approached by three steps to north. Basement houses vaults approached by steps down to plain doorway at rear with the word CATACOMBS incised in the lintel: other plinth openings behind iron grilles light the vaults. Pedimented portico of fluted columns supports plain entablature which extends around entire building .At rear of portico Doric antae flank double doors of moulded sunk panels in moulded doorcase with cornice. Both returns to building are pedimented over attached distyle in antis temple fronts of fluted Ionic columns. At rear and in both returns are tapered nine-pane windows in raised eared architraves with sills.

INTERIOR: divided into 7 x 3 bays by attached pilasters of marbled wood with floret necking, standing on high dado with moulded rail. Doorcase is of marbled wood: window architraves repeat those on exterior. Moulded cornice to ceiling which is coffered with plain beams.

Listing NGR: SE 6107550824

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York IV East, (1975), 29
Murray, H, This Garden of Death, (1992)

National Grid Reference: SE 61075 50824

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259304 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 11:03:13.

End of official listing