EAGLE HOTEL GEORGE E BRYANT AND SONS LIMITED AND MARKET PLACE ARCADE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1259327

Date first listed: 31-Jan-1997

Statutory Address: EAGLE HOTEL GEORGE E BRYANT AND SONS LIMITED AND MARKET PLACE ARCADE, 8 AND 9, EAGLE PARADE

Map

Ordnance survey map of EAGLE HOTEL GEORGE E BRYANT AND SONS LIMITED AND MARKET PLACE ARCADE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259327 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 03:46:45.

Location

Statutory Address: EAGLE HOTEL GEORGE E BRYANT AND SONS LIMITED AND MARKET PLACE ARCADE, 8 AND 9, EAGLE PARADE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: High Peak (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 05776 73268

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BUXTON

SK0573SE EAGLE PARADE 616-1/4/57 (West side) 25/01/51 Nos.8 AND 9 Eagle Hotel, Geo E Bryant and Sons Ltd and Market Place Arcade (Formerly Listed as: MARKET PLACE Eagle Hotel. Premises occupied as Gas Showroom)

II

Formerly known as: The Devonshire Arms MARKET PLACE. Formerly known as: Eagle and Child MARKET PLACE. Coaching Inn now public house, shops and flats. 1760, on site of earlier building, for the 5th Duke of Devonshire, extended c1780-1790, converted late C20. Ashlar gritstone and coursed dressed gritstone with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roofs with coped gables and kneelers plus stone stacks. PLAN: original right-hand block later extended to left under same roof line and with rear wing. EXTERIOR: 4 and 3 storeys with attic. Main front has 9 windows arranged 4:5. Central bay projects slightly with rusticated pilaster strips. Central doorway with C20 door and glazed overlight in moulded ashlar surround with console brackets supporting pediment. 2/2 sashes to each floor above in moulded surrounds, smaller 3/3 sashes to third floor. 4 storey wing to right has 4 2/2 sashes to each floor, those to third floor smaller 3/3 sashes. Beyond to right another pedimented doorway. To left, 3 storey wing has tripartite C20 shopfront with above 4 tall glazing bar sash type windows in ashlar surrounds, above 4 smaller similar windows linked by a sill band. Left return has single glazing bar sash type window to left on lower floors, with 3 similar windows on third floor and 2 smaller windows to garret. Set-back to left 3 storey 5 window wing with projecting C20 entrance to Market Place Arcade, with beyond a 2 storey canted bay window and then 2 glazing bar sash type windows. Above 4 similar windows flanking upper bay, with 5 smaller similar windows above. Projecting wing to left has single window to ground floor of right return, and smaller window to top floor. Single storey wing beyond with glazing bar windows. INTERIOR: of earlier block has crude re-used timbers to one of rear rooms. Stairs now rise from rear of left-hand entrance hall, rising back over the hallway, with wreathed handrail and shaped strings. Cellar. The later block contains large stair well with wreathed handrail to ground floor, variously moulded handrails to upper floors with rectangular iron balusters. 1st floor with panelled surrounds to windows and 3 doors have deep panelled architraves. There are ornate plaster consoles, recesses and a corner fireplace. Boxed beams. 2nd floor with deep panelled doorways. Queen post roof construction to partitioned attic. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire: Harmondsworth: 1953-1986: 113).



Listing NGR: SK0577673268

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463001

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, (1953), 113

End of official listing