NUMER 20 AND WALL ATTACHED TO SOUTH WEST CORNER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1259336

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Statutory Address: NUMER 20 AND WALL ATTACHED TO SOUTH WEST CORNER, 20, CASTLEGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMER 20 AND WALL ATTACHED TO SOUTH WEST CORNER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259336 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 10:39:20.

Location

Statutory Address: NUMER 20 AND WALL ATTACHED TO SOUTH WEST CORNER, 20, CASTLEGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60417 51606

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6051NW CASTLEGATE 1112-1/28/140 (South West side) 14/06/54 No.20 and wall attached to south-west corner

GV II

Formerly known as: Nos.20 AND 22 CASTLEGATE. House and shop, and wall approximately 50 metres long attached to rear, forming boundary between Nos 18 (qv) and 20. Wall late C13; house and shop early C19, re-roofed and altered later. MATERIALS: wall of magnesian limestone; house of orange brick in Flemish bond, part on painted stone plinth, and with painted stone dressings; ground floor, with remains of timber shopfront, rendered and painted; roof obscured by plain parapet. L-shaped plan. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 3-window front. Plain pilasters and flat cornice of earlier shopfront retained on ground floor: openings altered to half-canted small-pane shop window at right of recessed glazed and panelled door, with upstairs access door of 6 sunk panels further left. At left end, folding door of sunk panels beneath blind fanlight in semicircular arch of painted voussoirs. On first floor, 12-pane sash window is flanked by shallow canted bay windows with panelled risers and 15-pane centre sashes. Second floor windows are 9-pane sash between 16-pane sashes. All windows except bays have painted stone sills and flat arches of voussoirs with keyblocks. Centre windows on both floors have floating cornices. INTERIOR: open string staircase with shaped treads has cast-iron balustrade of openwork angular panels. First floor room to left has apsidal end cantilevered over staircase, fitted with cupboards with shaped doors. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: wall attached to rear was part of the north-west wall of the precinct of the former Franciscan Friary. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 51; 114).

Listing NGR: SE6041751606

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463010

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 51, 114

End of official listing